To support the Accounting Manager and Plant Manager with month-end close process, focusing primarily on inventory related areas, as well as significantly improving processes surrounding valuation of inventory balances and reconciliation to the general ledger. Strengthen internal controls surrounding inventory management. Develop, report and monitor key operational metrics and collaborate with operations on continuous improvement plans.
* Assist the accounting team in Middleton with the period end financial close processes, including journal entry processing and completion of assigned closing tasks related to inventory and cost of goods sold. The objective is to complete a timely and accurate close within 5 business days of period end.
* Timely and accurate completion of reconciliations for assigned GL accounts
* Work with production team to ensure proper controls over inventory, including receiving, transfers, shipments and bills of materials.
* Analyze monthly materials cost variances as well as monthly labor, overhead and freight costs
* Participate in the planning and execution of year-end physical inventory count process, the audit of the physical inventory, and work with operations to develop a dependable cycle count process
* Collaborate with operations and Middleton accounting/finance functions to improve the reliability of the perpetual inventory accounting system which will allow the business to move fully to cycle counts.
* Improve the standard costing process by examining bills of material for proper inclusion of key material components, including scrap, as well properly including labor and overhead factors.
* Work with the Plant Manager to develop and maintain operational performance metrics that can be used to measure and improve the business
* Work with business personnel to understand and present resolution for the accounting of new or non-routine business transactions, including accounting and reporting for new contracts/agreements
* Assist with the audit process by completing requested schedules and working closely with external audit personnel
* Under general direction, analyze and interpret financial results in accordance with GAAP and Company policies
* Maintain Company sales and use tax certificates
* Maintain fixed asset ledgers and asset tag control
* Special projects as assigned
Education and Experience
* Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, at least 4 years of experience, preferably with plant/cost accounting experience
* Hands on experience in a manufacturing environment, including perpetual inventory systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of GAAP and Internal Controls
* Strong analytical skills and technical accounting knowledge
* Effective written and verbal communication skills
* Advanced skills in Excel and proficient in Word
* Accuracy, attention to detail, ability to multi-task and meet critical deadlines
* Knowledge of Microsoft Access or SQL/Infomaker report writing is desirable
* Proven adaptability to a variety of IT systems
* Individuals must have the ability and desire to work with personnel at all levels within the organization