As the leader of the EHS function, defines the strategic vision and plan to achieve the vision. Responsibilities include leading the overall development of the EHS system and culture across all locations including US and Mexican operations. Audits, sets priorities and ensures each location is actively engaged in compliance initiatives, hazard identification/elimination, associate engagement/action team development and instilling a zero-incident mindset/focus.
Develops, implements and maintains company practices, policies and EHS processes. Includes associate engagement, accountability, compliance programs, audits and reporting required by local, state and federal authorities including OSHA, Mexican NOMS, EPA, DNR, property and WC insurance carriers. Drives and supports the implementation of environmental, health, safety and risk abatement processes at the corporate level. Oversees applicable training, education, standardization of programs, hazard assessments and the implementation of safe work practices.
Partners with operations leadership to ensure zero-incident mindset is integrated into daily operations and is sustained to provide a competitive advantage. Leverage EHS to create Best Experience culture, employer of choice, continuous improvement mindset/lean operations.
Oversees EHS activities that impact approximately 8,500 associates at 15 sites that cover 2.5M square feet and represent $800M in insured value. Responsible for leading and directing EHS staff and activities at all locations.
EHS Strategies, Initiatives & Plans: Responsible for developing and implementing environmental, health, safety, security and risk reduction strategies and initiatives at the corporate level. Develops, leads and communicates strategies, annual goals (KPI’s, metrics, etc.), and action plans across the organization. Determines plan based on exposure, frequency, severity and historical data. This includes assessing exposures, analyzing trends and data and facilitating overall team safety goal development. Responsible for establishing programs and accountability measurements to influence facility leaders to implement and sustain these efforts. Leads integration of acquired facility EHS culture and compliance.
Directing, Developing & Leading Others: Directly responsible for managing EHS staff at Mexican and where applicable U.S. locations. Also influences and directs staff that have dotted line reporting relationships in locations that do not have dedicated EHS personnel. Develops staff around SWF competency model and ensures resources are continually developing technical skills needed to identify and eliminate hazards and engage associate teams in the Bronze to Diamond journey.
Training & Development: Develops and implements the corporate EHS training plan to ensure associates receive the proper training as required by law as well as education on safe work practices, proper personal protection including orientation of new associates. Organizes and directs training of safety action teams to standardize work and charters across facilities. This includes working directly with safety action teams in the facilities to ensure alignment.
Technical Resource & Compliance: Provides technical expertise as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function. Remains abreast of US and Mexican federal, state and local laws pertaining to environmental, safety and health regulations and establish action plans to ensure compliance. Act as liaison for the company with state, local and federal regulatory agencies. Responsible for all domestic and Mexico environmental regulatory reporting, permits and licenses. Facilitates audit process and manages U.S. and Mexican consultants to ensure risk/gap identification and follow-up process is implemented. Responsible to hire consultants, approve invoices, negotiate contracts, ensure responsiveness and if necessary change providers to ensure ongoing compliance.
Risk Management: Partners with Director of Tax/Risk to manage corporate meetings with broker, property insurance carrier as well as review boards to minimize risk and reduce overall cost/exposure. Facilitates Engineering reviews of all facilities regarding physical and human elements. With regard to Workers’ Compensation, works directly with internal and external counsel to recommend and determine best defense and settlement strategies. Makes settlement recommendations to corporate legal counsel. Establishes expectations and processes to drive early return-to-work and transitional duty opportunities in all locations. Will also coordinate with facilities regarding site and travel security.
*Assess current staff/structure and programs, recommend modifications that may be required.
*Establish schedule and audit team to carry out external audits & inspections at all facilities every 18 months. Ensure internal/self-audits are completed annually. Establish process to ensure recommended corrective actions are followed up on and that deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner.
* Form and lead a Corporate EHS Steering Team that oversees EHS strategic initiatives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) across all locations. Team responsible for overseeing program activities, establishing goals, setting priorities, addressing deficiencies and sharing best practices.
* Oversee facility Central Safety Committee structure and ensures each location is aligned with corporates strategies established action plans and expectations.
* Responsible for ensuring consistency and facilitation of policy creation, revisions and adherence across the organization. Oversee and maintain the software site to maintain a library of policies. Ensure best practice sharing across all locations.
* Prepare monthly corporate reports, KPIs and presentations as required. Disseminate to executives and facility leaders.
* Set goals, establish priorities, oversee budgets, forecast, manage CER process for EHS related projects.
* Establish a process for the investigation and analysis of cause and effect of accidents, injuries, illnesses, property damage and near misses. Ensure findings are communicated to management and associates as appropriate to ensure preventative measures are taken.
How We Work:
* Integrates continuous improvement, BEx and SWF cultural beliefs in all activities. (Applies 100% of the time)
- Ensures Accountability – Holds self and others accountable for delivering EHS results
- Drives Engagement – Creates climate where associates are motivated to do their best to achieve objectives
- Instills Trust – Gains confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity
- Drives Results – Consistently achieves results
* Utilizes quality process tools and methodology on teams and in individual work
* Defines, documents and improves processes within sphere of control
* Develops others to continuously manage and execute higher levels of work
* Identifies waste and rework and enacts plans to improve/solve
* Checks satisfaction of customers through use of quality tools, surveys and customer/supplier metrics
Education and Experience
* BACHELOR’S DEGREE: Occupational Safety, Environmental Science or a related field
* Minimum of 10+ years of leadership experience in environmental, health and safety roles in a manufacturing environment
* PREFERRED: EHS Professional Certification (Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Environmental Manager (CEM), etc.) strongly preferred. Experience with compliance with ISO14001 and OSHAS18000 a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must have the ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management. Both verbal, written and computer skills required. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge in environmental, safety, health and legal compliance (OSHA, EPA, DNR, SEMARNAT, PROFEPA, STPS) among other. Strong influence and persuasion skills.