Facilitates the packaging portion of division wide projects and utilizes department resources as directed by a Packaging Engineer or the Manager of Packaging Engineering to support the project. This is a position that runs from May 2019-December 2019. Springs Window Fashions also offers a competitive hourly wage and summer housing stipend to all of our interns!
* Create models and prototypes under the direction of Product and Project Management groups. Coordination with both internal and external sources is required. Coordination with external vendors may be required for certain types of models and prototypes. Internal development requires the use of machine tools and lab equipment along with coordination with other internal departments.
* Lead the development of part drawings, modifying part drawings, and creating assembly drawings on assigned projects.
* Investigate and resolve complaints, damage, ergonomic concerns and other day-to-day issues under the direction of the Packaging Engineering Manager.
* Organize, maintain, and retrieve drawings in a file system used by the entire Springs Window Fashions organization. Drawings must be maintained in a secure fashion using procedures in the Engineering department. Lead the Packaging Engineering Department effort for Product Data Management system.
* Document and process Specification Revisions and Product Change Requests under the direction of the Packaging Engineer. This includes documentation and coordination with the Engineering Services group. The development of the SR/ECN may require cost and annual savings calculations.
* Determine and facilitate appropriate package testing. Package testing requires the use of lab equipment, documentation and final summary of the results.
* Responsible for technical writing of Packaging Assembly instructions, Packaging Specifications and other technical documentation incorporating written text, drawings, CAD and digital photographs. Responsible for the accuracy of the information and must confirm the validity with Packaging Engineering Manager, Product Engineers, Product Managers, Manufacturing and Distributor/Fabricator customers.
* Set up and perform Manufacturing Process measurements with Industrial Engineering staff and Manufacturing as needed for time estimates.
* Create reports and submit them to the Packaging Engineer or the Manager of Packaging Engineering. This requires technical writing skills to document testing, procedures, project status reports and experiments.
* Review Bill Of Material's for WIP variances. Ability to calculate quantities used in Bill Of Material and to verify correct usage in the Manufacturing Process.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Is at least a Sophomore or higher level student at a 4 year Packaging program
* Solidworks or AutoCAD experience
* Can present effectively to small groups outside packaging on packaging related topics.
* Manages projects and meets established deadlines.
* Microsoft Office products
* Provides problem solving skills
* Understands basic packaging principles
* ISTA testing knowledge