* The Product Manager II will manage all product marketing activities for a product line of SWF – CBU Division with overall goals to grow sales, market share and profitability while aligning with brand and channel positioning and the CBU Division strategic plan.
* He/she will gather new product ideas and evaluate their revenue / profit potential and strategic fit.
* The PM II will coordinate the development of new products with marketing, purchasing, finance, engineering, manufacturing, and IT.
* He/she will work closely with sales to assure a smooth and successful introduction to the marketplace.
1. Strategic and business planning
* Development and implementation of long-range product roadmaps and competitive strategies for assigned product lines
* Provide appropriate input to the SWF CBU strategic plan.
* Preparation and implementation of annual marketing plans, budgets and sales forecast.
2. Financial accountability
* Overall accountability for sales volume and profitability of assigned product line(s).
- Set price levels, taking into account the conditions in the marketplace, costs / inflation (suppliers, operations) and brand positioning, as well as the financial needs of the division.
- Leadership role and prioritization of efforts to identify ongoing cost reductions, service enhancements and quality improvements
- Manage overall SKU pool, perform SKU rationalization on a regular basis. Align and leverage SKUs with other business units where possible – aligning with brand and product positioning
- In conjunction with sales, develop and recommend creative and appropriate sales tactics and promotions for assigned product lines.
- Leverage CRM and sales reports to look for gaps. Work with sales leadership to develop strategies and tools to close gaps and grow share of wallet
- Work with sales managers, customer service, demand planning, and production & inventory control to develop accurate sales forecasts for assigned products.
* Expenses: Prepare and administer sales and expense budgets for assigned product line.
3. Deliver Best Experience Quality and Service to our customers and channel
* Monitor key service metrics (OPD%) and adjust lead times to ensure we are providing accurate lead times to our customers.
- Benchmark competition for lead time claims and actual performance
- Develop plans to maintain competitive lead times in our channel
* Monitor quality and remakes data and work with and through the QST to identify root cause(s) to eliminate top quality issues
* Work with P&IC and Purchasing to manage inventory levels, while maintaining high levels of service.
- Identify causes of material holds and work with P&IC and Purchasing to resolve
* Work with and train customer service on our products. Use call data to pinpoint hot topics and determine ways to train and/or provide additional information to resolve
* Ensure accuracy and accessibility of product information – websites, portals, brochures, spec sheets, technical documents
4. Improve new product vitality % (new product sales / total sales)
* Working closely with channel marketing and sales managers, establish marketing plans for new product introductions
* Team lead and project manage new product, and product enhancement projects to ensure adherence to the NPS schedule.
- Identify end user and trade needs and benchmark against competition through primary and secondary market research, trade publications, market studies / reports
- Further segment needs into key vertical markets (Education, Healthcare, Office) and sub-segments (K-12 schools, Hospitals, Class A office)
- Identify specific product opportunities that align with unmet needs and define requirements for Engineering.
- Participate in establishing market plans for new product rollouts.
- Work with Purchasing and Engineering department, source selected items from vendors. Work closely with vendors on new and/or existing product designs.
- Make decisions on SKU mix, design and functionality of assigned product line(s).
- Coordinate various functions involved in product introductions/refreshes, ie. Purchasing, Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing, IT, Distribution, Finance and Engineering Services.
5. Marketing Responsibilities
* Achieve market penetration for assigned product line(s):
- Develop and implement aggressive marketing programs to achieve growth in sales
- Insure that product quality/integrity is maintained.
- Supervise product improvements, assuring that SWF products provide superior value to the consumer.
* Insure that proper support is given to the product through necessary selling tools, merchandising programs, and sales force training.
* Obtain and maintain a thorough knowledge of the markets in which SWF CBU products compete, and the channel participants / influencers in those markets.
* Identify and anticipate trends in commercial interior design, building construction, automation / technology which will affect the assigned product lines.
* In concert with appropriate sales managers, prepare and make presentations to high level national accounts and/or major dealers
- Represent SWF CBU at trade shows and industry events
- Maintain close working relationships with top CBU accounts.
6. Product line maintenance responsibilities
* Develop and execute SKU maintenance and reduction plans.
* Provide guidance to production planning and inventory control areas, to assure appropriate inventory levels and service to customers.
* Act as a mentor to other more junior associates in Product Marketing.
* Continuously gather intelligence on the products performance, customer, dealer and end user attitudes, and new problems/opportunities
* Continuously gather competitive intelligence as to pricing, promotion, specifications, and product changes
7. Quality – - Integrates quality at the source thinking and activities in daily, individual, team and project work. (Applies to all job duties 100%)
* Utilizes quality/process tools and methodology in daily individual work
* Utilizes quality/process tools and methodology on teams
* Defines and documents individual processes within sphere of control
* Ensures that others are trained as back-ups on (processes) within the area/department
* Improves processes within sphere of control
* Identifies waste and rework and enacts plan to improve/solve
* Checks satisfaction of internal customers through use of quality tools and Customer/Supplier metrics
Scope of Responsibilities
* Chiefly responsible for managing all product marketing activities for multiple product lines of SWF CBU. Responsible for sales and profitability of assigned product line(s).
* Responsible for planning and administering an expense budget.
* This position has a major impact on the division’s profitability and long term viability, through the timely introduction of new products and programs which are attractive to the channel.
* Individuals in the position will often be called upon to make presentations to current or potential major customers.
* Individuals in this position will have considerable authority. Major decisions will be reviewed with the VP Engineering & Product Development
* Individuals in this position will often act as a team leader for cross-functional teams.
* Constant access to confidential financial, marketing and long-range plan information.
Education and Experience
* A bachelors’ degree in Engineering is required, preferably Electrical Engineering or Software. An MBA is highly desirable.
* Seven plus years product marketing or sales experience with commercial or industrial products company is required
* Direct experience in specified commercial construction market is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Incumbents will typically have 7 or more years of progressively responsible experience in sales and marketing.
* Technical background is a requirement for this position
* Preferably BS in Electrical Engineering due to the nature of motorization, controls and software
* There is a growing requirement for product interoperability and integration with other building automation systems, control systems, and other wired / wireless technologies.
* Must be able to understand and then develop strategies that encompass the technology trends in our category, channel and adjacent categories. This will be integrated into our product roadmaps, specifications, and NPD process documents.
* Experience with a stage-gate or tollgate new product development process is required
* Must have motivational/leadership skills as individuals in this position will frequently act as a team leader, using these skills to lead others in sales, engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, marketing, finance, etc.
* Must have a high degree of creativeness and the ability to think “outside the box” to develop new products and programs for our channel.
* Must have excellent written communication skills, as well as good presentation skills, as incumbents will often be called on to make presentations to major customers and potential customers.
- Uses project plan and project schedule methodology
- Clearly defines and utilizes processes in daily work
- Knows SWF team structure, roles and responsibilities
- Integrates process methodology into daily work; MPI, QAT, 5S, 6D, Q@S etc
- Looks for innovative ways to streamline work processes across the division and involves stakeholders
- Identifies gaps using tools such as Baldridge criteria, WI Forward Award criteria, GPTW, IDP etc
- Establishes forums to share best practices
- Uses dept and company scorecard and other metrics
- Measures own work to plan and reports out at a micro and macro level