Organize and lead cross-functional teams to plan and execute business strategies and implement changes. Develop strategies and initiate changes to improve operations, reduce cost, optimize resource utilization, and transform the business.
(65%) Project leadership/management – Lead cross-functional project teams; managing resources, schedules and budgets. The following illustrates project type, scope and complexity:
* Manufacturing, distribution, and/or office facility rationalization and development (Examples: Facility expansion, consolidation, decentralization, relocation and/or startup.)
* Responsible for building size, ceiling height, infrastructure (HVAC, air, water, electrical, etc.), structural requirements & site selection.
* Responsible for building size, ceiling height, infrastructure (HVAC, air, water, electrical, etc.), structural requirements & site selection
* Facilitate resolution of lease vs. purchase decision.
* Facilitate resolution of environmental, legal, zoning, regulatory, and insurance issues.
* Work with and coordinate the activities of the developer if needed. Facilitate resolution of problems.
* Prepare a justification and sell the project to senior management. Analysis to include transportation, labor, efficiency, taxes, delivery times, customer service, etc.
* International supply chain analysis and change.
* Research and understand the supply chain. Use knowledge gained to reduce cost of materials, components and/or product through vertical integration, moving closer to the primary source, taking ownership of sub-vendor processes, etc.
* Complete a make vs. buy analysis to determine if an operation should be in-sourced or out-sourced.
* Identify requirements for in-house production, prepare a justification and sell the project to the Senior Leadership Team.
* Coordinate the installation & startup of a new operation.
* Identify, justify and implement new manufacturing technology or processes (Examples: PVC compounding, wood finishing, fabric printing).
* Expand capacity of operations to support business opportunities.
* Plan, budget, justify and implement major division-wide projects.
* Develop plant/facility layouts that affect multiple manufacturing departments or an entire facility’s productivity and efficiency.
* Acquisition of a new company or operation.
* Division-wide process change
* May supervise other project managers as direct reports to ensure projects meet timelines and achieve desired results
(15%) Capital Expenditure Requests – Manage operations Capital Expenditure Request program via budget control and CER review and evaluation. Develop justifications to obtain funding for major strategic initiatives.
(10%) Facilities planning and lease management
* Work cross functionally do develop facility requirements.
* Manage lease approval and notification process
The following responsibilities account for approximately 10% of incumbent’s time.
* Direction of IE’s and Technicians – Mentor, train, and coach individual IE’s and technicians. Develop IE’s and technicians’ skills through example, training aids, and/or on-the-job training.
* Work Measurement and Manufacturing Methods – Supervise work measurement activities. Review work measurement activity completed by IE’s and technicians.
* Cost Reduction – Coordinate division wide cost reduction initiatives. Audit savings as required.
* Industrial Engineering – Provide division-wide technical support and advice to manufacturing, plant managers and other engineers on subjects such as rate of return (ROR) analysis, capital investment, cost reduction, facility layouts, lean manufacturing, work design, economic analysis, ergonomics, etc.
Education and Experience
* Bachelor’s degree required, engineering preferred
* Four to seven years of experience in manufacturing, warehousing and distribution operations.
* Four to seven years of progressively more responsible project leadership & management
* Project Manager certification beneficial
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Will plan and coordinate division wide major projects requiring considerable originality and ingenuity.
* Must have strong project management and leadership skills. Ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of a cross functional team.
* Accomplished in the art of getting things done through people.
* Understand team dynamics and how to drive to conclusion.
* Ability to identify the resources needed to support a project.
* Job requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Must be able to interact effectively with associates at all levels.
* Motivate and inspire team members.
* Obtain consensus among a diverse group.
* Delegate work effectively.
* Anticipate problems and issues.
* Prepare and evaluate alternatives.
* Exhibit sound judgment and decision-making under pressure.
* Well-developed negotiating skills are needed to deal with officers, directors, managers, developers, real estate agents, attorneys, suppliers, government agencies, etc.