The Product Manager 1 will assist the Management of Product Management in managing and developing one or more product lines. Many of the activities assigned to the Associate Product Manager will be identical to those assigned to a Product Manager, however, an individual at the PM1 level will work with less supervision and will have more latitude for independent decision making.
1. Participate in setting basic strategic direction for assigned products.
2. Financial Accountability
- Accountable for sales volume and profitability (standard variable margins) of assigned product line(s)
- Develop accurate sales forecasts for assigned product lines.
- Maintain Margins:
- Recommend price levels, which meet the needs of the company yet, find acceptance in the marketplace.
- Work with colleagues in marketing, manufacturing, purchasing, engineering and sales to identify and carry through with cost reduction projects.
3. Improve product vitality:
- Team lead, and when necessary, project manage new product, and product enhancement/refresh projects to ensure adherence to the NPS schedule.
- Under the direction of a more senior product manager, identify consumer and trade needs and benchmark against competition.
- Under the direction of a more senior product manager, identify specific product needs and define requirements for Engineering.
- Participate, along with more senior members of marketing, in establishing market plans for new product rollouts.
- Work with Purchasing and Engineering department, source selected items from vendors. Work closely with vendors on new and/or existing product designs.
- Under the direction of a more senior product manager, make decisions on SKU mix, design and functionality of assigned product line(s).
- Coordinate various functions involved in product introductions/refreshes, Purchasing, Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, Integrated marketing, Distribution, Finance and Engineering Services
- Manage the creation and production of Product Launch Kit materials.
- Monitor and evaluate new item’s sales and margin performance.
4. Marketing Responsibilities:
- Achieve market penetration for assigned products:
- Develop, recommend and implement aggressive marketing programs to achieve share growth.
- Insure that product integrity is maintained.
- Supervise product improvements, keeping products equal to or better than competition.
- Insure that proper support is given the product through necessary selling tools and materials, proper sales effort and appropriate merchandising programs.
- Constantly look for, recommend, and implement innovative programs and approaches to promote market share growth.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough knowledge of the assigned products, as well as competitor’s products.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough knowledge of the markets in which Spring’s products compete, and the accounts in these markets.
- Under the direction of a more senior product manager, prepare and make presentations to current and potential customers.
- Represent SWF at trade shows.
5. Maintain product line:
- Provide guidance to productions planning associates, to maintain targeted inventory and service levels.
- Assist in preparation of marketing budget, and monitoring of on-going performance against budget.