As a member of the management team of the Commercial business, this position will be responsible for providing financial analysis and insight critical to managing the business. The position must thoroughly analyze and understand monthly results and communicate key variances, trends and issues to management. The position will work closely with the accounting function to ensure that the monthly results for the Commercial business are properly stated. This position will also be responsible for preparing periodic reforecasts of the business throughout the year and, working cross-functionally, for preparing the annual budget.
The position will need to provide ad hoc business case analysis and recommendations in areas such as pricing, trade promotions, capital investments, etc. The position may also be called upon to assist in the preparation of elements of the Company’s financial reporting (e.g., MD&A).
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Responsible for preparing the annual budget for the Commercial business, working cross-functionally within the Commercial business and with other business support functions (e.g., Operations).
- Coordinate preparation and review of the annual Commercial business budget to ensure all deadlines are achieved.
- Responsible for preparing periodic earnings/cash flow forecasts for the Commercial business as requested by the Commercial business General Manager and Corporate Finance.
- Assist in developing KPI’s to measure progress against key strategic initiatives for the Commercial business
- Develop reporting methodology for evaluating and reporting status of such KPIs on a monthly basis or more frequently as needed
- Assist in identifying and evaluating potential acquisition opportunities for the Commercial business
- Evaluate monthly operating results for the Commercial business, identifying significant trends and variances to budget/forecast/prior year
- Prepare thorough explanations for such variances and lead the discussion of the operating results for the business at the monthly financial review meetings
- Work with the management team of the Commercial business to identify profit improvement opportunities throughout the year, particularly if the forecast for the business shows a shortfall to budget
- Closely monitor and evaluate revenue and revenue per unit trends to ensure that price realization is being maintained
Ad Hoc Analysis
- Support the Commercial business by performing ad hoc business analysis as needed in areas such as pricing, margin enhancement, cost reduction and capital investment